From: Stefan Seefeld (seefeld_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-05-01 12:42:57

Steve,

Steve M. Robbins wrote:

> It turns out to be simpler than that. With a small tweak to boost's
> Jamroot file, I'm now generating libraries without the toolset and
> without the Boost version decorations. I will use this for the
> upcoming Boost 1.35.0 Debian packages.

By all means, could you please get together with other packagers
(fedora, notably) and try to establish a common procedure ? (Ideally
this procedure would be christened by boost itself, eventually, but
unfortunately I just don't see that happening anytime soon.)

This is really a big usability issue for developers who want to develop
on platforms such as debian or fedora, but still remain as portable as
possible, as they have to be prepared for lots of subtle and
not-so-subtle variations, complicating their life unnecessarily. It's
bad enough that there is no API & ABI stability guarantee from one boost
version to the next...

Thanks !

                Stefan