From: Peter Dimov (pdimov_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-05-03 08:38:29

> On Friday 02 May 2008 08:18, Peter Dimov wrote:
> > What I had in mind is illustrated with the following:
> >
> > X * px = new X;
> > // px->shared_from_this(); // throws bad_weak_ptr
> > weak_ptr<X> wx = px->weak_from_this(); // OK
> > assert( wx.use_count() == 0 ); // expired
> > shared_ptr<X> sx( px );
> > assert( wx.use_count() == 1 ); // shares ownership with sx

> It's not clear to me that this kind of behavior could be implemented for
> weak_ptr without changing its specification.

It's compatible with the specification of weak_ptr. use_count() returns the
number of shared_ptr instances in the ownership group. Before the shared_ptr
line, this number is zero, after it, it's one, exactly what is reported.

> Also, it doesn't allow for distinguishing between "object alive but no
> shared_ptr owner yet" and "shared_ptr expired or object destructed" cases.

Yes, it doesn't.

> For the use case of tracking signal/slot connections, the signal would
> want to be able to distinguish between the two cases, temporarily blocking
> the connection in the first, and disconnecting it permanently in the
> second.

In the first case, the signal should proceed to invoke the slots without the
one that is in process of being constructed. I agree that it makes it hard
to automatically disconnect the connection when its weak_ptr expires. In
theory, you can avoid this by simply not disconnecting automatically.

> What does seem to have the right semantics is for weak_from_this() to
> return something like a shared_ptr<weak_ptr<T> >. Every call would return
> a shared_ptr that points at the unique weak_ptr which will be assigned the
> object's owning shared_ptr.

It seems to me that now you have a data race on the weak_ptr target, which
would require synchronization.

There's a similar data race hidden in the above case as well, but it's not
visible to the user (and seems less fequent, although I could be wrong).