From: Lance.Diduck_at_[hidden]
Date: 2008-05-14 15:57:25

The result has been noticed before. In fact I wrote about it in several
posts on c.l.c++.m, and in N2486 in the first few pages it uses this
effect to illustrate a point about allocators.
Nevertheless, the result is still surprising!!
What is worse is that different compilers and libraries will give you
way different results for this test, so it is not just a function of
Intel. ( I have not tried to reproduce the results on anything but
intel).
It is quite common that completely independent algorithms on a multicore
machine will slow each other down --worse than just running the same
algorithms sequentially. Of course we can make programs go faster by
parallelism, but the theoretical approach of making many isolated
simultaneous tasks clearly does not meet practice as a way to improve
performance.
So forget about "superlinear" programs. I would just settle for C++
containers being linear.