From: Joachim Faulhaber (afojgo_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-05-23 09:44:43

2008/5/23 Frank Birbacher <bloodymir.crap_at_[hidden]>:
> Hi!
>
> Joachim Faulhaber schrieb:
>> For every time<TimeSystem>- type the semantics of the minimal unit
>> should be chosen as a static property of the types TimeSystem, that
>> can not be changed for a given type-instance. That way, strong typing
>> will help not to accidentally mix nanoseconds with decades ;-)
>
> Hmm, I thought of using the same type (e.g. ptime) with different units
> (seconds, hours, days). Just like a std::basic_string can be used with
> "char" but two different character traits.

Yes of course ... one class template with different instances. Yet different
instances of the same class template are different types so compilers can
help to avoid errors ...

But ... to make the discussion more substantial and to give the authors
of boost::date_time the acknowledgement that they surely deserve I am
going to study the documentation more closely first before making
more suggestions.

As a first reading shows customization of resolution and iteration on
different granularity levels are sagely provided.

Regards
Joachim