From: joaquin_at_[hidden]
Date: 2008-05-27 03:40:58

Markus Schöpflin escribió:
> Beman Dawes wrote:
>
>> Markus Schöpflin wrote:
>>
>>> I have been running boost regression tests on Tru64/CXX for a few years
>>> now. As Tru64 is no longer available and the compiler most likely will not
>>> get any more updates, I'm a bit unsure if it would make any sense for me to
>>> volunteer as a platform champion.
>>>
>>> Do you think I should go ahead and put me in the list anyway?
>>>
>> That's up to you, but it sounds like your efforts might be better spent
>> on a more active platform.
>>
>> While we want to support a wide range of platforms, and not just the
>> most popular ones, it doesn't make sense to tie up resources on
>> platforms that are no longer supported by their suppliers.
>>

> As in my department we still have to support applications running on Tru64
> for a few more years, I will continue running boost regression tests on
> this platform anyway.
>
> But I agree with you that a platform champion most likely is no longer needed.

Markus, if you plan to maintain a regression runner on a long term basis
I think your playing
the champion role would also be a nice contribution; even if the
platform is on its EOL phase and
you don't plan to use *new* libraries, regressions will inevitably occur
and your help here
can be invaluable, given the low accesibility of the platform. Another
option is that you do the fixes
privately for your department's sake, but that looks suboptimal.

Joaquín M López Muñoz
Telefónica, Investigación y Desarrollo