From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-05-30 16:51:57

on Thu May 29 2008, Beman Dawes <bdawes-AT-acm.org> wrote:

>> std::string leaf( ): should be basename(). back(), tail() and
>> p.split()[1].string() are viable alternatives
>
> One problem with basename is that it is already used by one of the
> convenience functions.

Yes, but seriously, you can't keep using basename to signify something
different about files than it already does in python,perl,ruby,posix
sh,and probably a bunch of other things. That's just wrong in
principle, no matter how misleading you find the name. It's a term of
art, now, like RAII.

> Another is that I find it misleading.

I would ask why, but I really think that's beside the point. It's like
saying you want to rename the hippocampus because it makes you think of
universities for large, dangerous, waterborne mammals.

--
Dave Abrahams
BoostPro Computing