From: Neil Groves (neil_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-06-17 15:52:09

On Tue, 2008-06-17 at 17:47 +0200, Mathias Gaunard wrote:
> I'm writing some piece of software working that does a lot of data
> structures traversal and that really needed filtering of traversal etc.
>
> I thought I'd get that from Boost.Range, but I was surprised to see
> Boost.Range provides very little: all the good stuff (the range-based
> algorithms and adaptors) are in another library, range_ex, which isn't
> in the main distribution yet.
>
> Will this library be included in Boost soon? It's really great.

I am the current maintainer of the Boost.RangeEx proposal. I am
therefore responsible for making Boost.RangeEx do what you desire and
for the introduction of this library into the main distribution being
delayed. I have fixed several issues with the code and continued the
development. I have yet to produce documentation that is acceptable for
review. I aim to have this done by the end of August 2008.

I certainly hope the library will be included in the main distribution
soon. I believe the code to be in a good state. I will attempt to
resolve any issues that anyone raises in a timely manner. It has been
used on Windows, Linux and Mac under Visual C++ 7.1, 8.0 and Gcc 3.x and
4.x. There are no known defects.

> As for the open issues, here are my opinions:
> - Output ranges: don't adaptors already output ranges?
The output is an output iterator. Half-open ranges are modified in-place
by several algorithms. This works, but may be improved upon later. I
believe that the current code is very useful already.

> - Two input ranges, or a range and an iterator?: two ranges can do more
> - For any algorithm foo(container, args...), if foo(args...) is valid
> then it should be called

> - Null-termination of C-style strings: Isn't that up to Boost.Range to
> decide whether it's a range or not?

It's not quite that simple since supporting C-style strings requires
more overloads for many algorithms. It often effects range algorithm
implementation too. I believe that leaving the C-style strings behind
has been agreed.

Please let me know if I may be of further assistance.

Regards,
Neil Groves