From: Robert Kawulak (kawulak_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-06-19 16:19:15

Hi Youssef,

> From: Youssef Oujamaa
>
> Hello boost developers,
>
> My mentor and I are working on a safe variable template class this
> summer in the spirit of the GSOC even though we where not selected to
> get any funds for it. We would like to know what our fellow boost/c++
> developers would like to see in a safe variable template class and
> what not, you can see what we are aiming for in the document bellow.
>
> http://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/browser/sandbox/SOC/2008/safe_
> variable/boost_gsoc_2008.pdf
>
> We look forward to your input.

It looks like your library is going to duplicate much of the functionality of
the library I'm going to submit for a formal review in a short time: Boost
Constrained Value library (see docs here: http://rk.go.pl/r/constrained_value).
In brief, the library is about creating wrappers for objects that allow only to
assign values valid according to a predicate. The library doesn't contain
SafeInt functionality, however, because I feel that the issues of constraining
the set of possible values and avoiding arithmetic oferflows are separate and
should be addressed by distinct libraries.

I think you may find some other useful information searching this group's
archives, there were several discussions on similar topics in the past.

Best regards,
Robert