From: Hartmut Kaiser (hartmut.kaiser_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-06-27 23:10:21

> In doing a top-level build of Boost (trunk) I'm seeing many messages
> like this one:
>
> ./boost/spirit/core/composite/actions.hpp:15:4: warning: #warning "This
> header is deprecated. Please use:
> boost/spirit/include/classic_actions.hpp"
> In file included from libs/serialization/src/basic_xml_grammar.ipp:22,
> from libs/serialization/src/xml_wgrammar.cpp:243:
>
> Two questions:
>
> * Is this something to worry about that the Serialization lib, and
> perhaps others, are using the deprecated headers?

Not in the short term. We intend to maintain Spirit1 for the foreseeable
future.

> * Assuming Serialization, other libraries, and users want to use the
> old
> headers. Is there a way for them to turn off the warning? I don't see
> anything obvious from looking at the headers themselves.
>
> In a world where compiling Boost produces many warnings already in some
> platforms. It seems bad if we are adding even more onto the fray.

The easiest (and best) way is do edit the #include statements in the
respective libraries (I'ld be willing to do that if the library authors
agree) and to define BOOST_SPIRIT_USE_OLD_NAMESPACE to enable full
compatibility with the old code.

I personally wouldn't like to add the possibility to disable the warnings.
We want any depending code to be changed once, and will guarantee
compatibility afterwards.

What libraries are affected, BTW (in addition to serialization)?
Regards Hartmut