From: Vladimir Prus (vladimir_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-07-03 14:50:56

Beman Dawes wrote:

> Vladimir Prus wrote:
>> Beman Dawes wrote:
>>
>>> The final requirements for directory and file names are now posted at
>>> http://beta.boost.org/development/requirements.html#Directory_structure
>>
>> Hmm, lowercase filenames? I hope you are not suggesting to go and rename every
>> "Jamfile" to "jamfile"?
>
> No, we've always made an exception for that.
>
>> Which filesystems, exactly, require single-case filenames,
>> how many bug reports from users of those filesystems we've got, and what market
>> share do those filesystem have today?
>
> The problems I've seen aren't with file systems, but with programs that
> partially enforce ISO-9660:1999.

The footnote sounds like filesystems are the issue:

        Some legacy file systems require single-case names. Single-case
        names eliminate casing mistakes when moving from case-insensitive
        to case-sensitive file systems.

> The other issue is consistency; what does the convention become?

Well, there are very few files that are traditionally spelled in anything
by lowercase. I think saying that header files must be in lowercase, and
that source files should be in lowercase, is enough.

- Volodya