From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-07-03 18:06:48

Vladimir Prus wrote:
> Beman Dawes wrote:
>
>> Vladimir Prus wrote:

>>> Hmm, lowercase filenames? I hope you are not suggesting to go and rename every
>>> "Jamfile" to "jamfile"?
>> No, we've always made an exception for that.
>>
>>> Which filesystems, exactly, require single-case filenames,
>>> how many bug reports from users of those filesystems we've got, and what market
>>> share do those filesystem have today?
>> The problems I've seen aren't with file systems, but with programs that
>> partially enforce ISO-9660:1999.
>
> The footnote sounds like filesystems are the issue:
>
> Some legacy file systems require single-case names. Single-case
> names eliminate casing mistakes when moving from case-insensitive
> to case-sensitive file systems.
>
>> The other issue is consistency; what does the convention become?
>
> Well, there are very few files that are traditionally spelled in anything
> by lowercase. I think saying that header files must be in lowercase, and
> that source files should be in lowercase, is enough.

Or perhaps "By convention, file and directory names are all lower case
unless there is a compelling reason to use a different convention for a
specific name."

We don't have any mechanical way of enforcing that, but at least it
gives clear guidance. We can check, however, that a directory doesn't
contain two names that differ only in case.

What do others think of this approach?

--Beman