From: Scott McMurray (me22.ca+boost_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-07-15 09:51:43

On Tue, Jul 15, 2008 at 02:26, Loïc Joly
<loic.actarus.joly_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> So, if I understand correctly, there used to be a canonize() function, but
> since it provided wrong results for corner cases, it was removed. Is that so
> ?

The notes for 1.31.0 mention the following:
"Separation of canonical form and normalized form and a new path
member function normalize(). This changes behavior, in that canonical
form is now different, but eliminates a subtle bug when symbolic links
to directories are present. "

Which suggests that is *was* wrong, but got fixed, and the old
behaviour was moved into normalize.

So I have no idea why it's no longer provided.

Actually, it brings up a more critical issue, in that it seems there's
no way to "dereference" a symlink...

~ Scott