From: Ruediger Berlich (ruediger.berlich_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-07-29 06:08:53

Hi Markus,

thanks - this helps.

So from what I can see at
http://www.boost.org/development/tests/release/developer/summary.html ,
there is currently a single (Ubuntu-)Linux platform being tested. So, as a
starter (and unless there are other suggestions), I will start with a
Fedora Core 9 (gcc 4.3.0, IIRC) and an OpenSUSE 11 (gcc 4.3.1) set-up, both
64 bit. My aim here will be to test the "cutting edge" distros.

Together, Debian/Ubuntu, Fedora and OpenSUSE should account for the majority
of Linux systems out there.

Best, Ruediger

Markus Schöpflin wrote:

> Ruediger Berlich wrote:
>
>> Hi there,
>>
>> I was wondering whether there would be a need for additional systems for
>> automated, nightly builds. My employer would agree to make a few (3-4)
>> machines available, with Linux-based operating systems. This would be a
>> VMWare ESX-based setup, although on high-performance hardware (8-core
>> blades).
>
> I'm sure there is. Linux doesn't have a good test coverage on the release
> branch, and OpenSolaris isn't tested at all.
>
>> I would personally be most interested in a test environment with the
>> OpenSUSE 11 64 bit / g++ 4.3.1 combo. It might be possible to also have
>> an OpenSolaris/Intel installation there, or an installation with Intel's
>> C++ compiler.
>>
>> A pre-condition would be that no external access to the machines is
>> needed, i.e. it would not be possible for Boost members to log in.
>> Instead, I would set up the test environment as needed, and of course it
>> would be possible for these machines to contact the outside world and
>> transmit test results.
>
> That's how the regression testing machines usually are set up. The machine
> needs to be able to do http(s) downloads and FTP uploads.
>
>> Thus my question, what needs to be done to set up such a test
>> environment.
>
> Have a look at
> http://www.boost.org/development/running_regression_tests.html.
>
>> Note that I cannot give a guaranty for long-term availability, as a) I do
>> not know how much work is involved in running such an environment and b)
>> it might become necessary for the systems to be used in other contexts.
>> If this turns out to be pretty much self-hosting (i.e. the
>> build-environment is self-sustained on a normally configured Linux
>> system), I would aim to ensure that the systems are available for a
>> longer period.
>
> Once it is set up, the testing runs pretty autonomous. It is demanding on
> the hardware though, you need enough RAM (>1GB) and disk space, and a fast
> CPU certainly helps.
>
> HTH, Markus
>
> PS: Since we are both located in the same city, don't hesitate to contact
> me personally if you need some help getting the regression tests going. I
> might be able to answer some things on the phone, if it helps.

Kind Regards / Mit freundlichen Gruessen,
Ruediger Berlich
Dr. Ruediger Berlich               | E-mail: ruediger.berlich_at_[hidden]
Forschungszentrum Karlsruhe        | Web: http://ruediger.berlich.com
Steinbuch Centre for Computing     | Phone:  +49 (0)7247 825678
Hermann-von-Helmholtz-Platz 1      | Fax:    +49 (0)7247 824972
D-76344 Eggenstein-Leopoldshafen   | Mobile: +49 (0)178 5567842
/*************************************************************************/
The Steinbuch Centre for Computing of Karlsruhe Institute of Technology
(the Cooperation of Forschungszentrum Karlsruhe GmbH and Universitaet
Karlsruhe TH) will run its annual GridKa School from September 8th to
12th, 2008. Please find further information at http://www.fzk.de/gks08 .
Forschungszentrum Karlsruhe GmbH
Sitz: Weberstraße 5
76133 Karlsruhe
Amtsgericht Mannheim HRB 100302
Vorsitzende des Aufsichtsrats: Baerbel Brumme-Bothe
Vors. der Geschäftsführung: Prof. Dr. Eberhard Umbach