From: Emil Dotchevski (emil_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-07-30 14:04:11

On Wed, Jul 30, 2008 at 7:55 AM, David Abrahams <dave_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> on Wed Jul 30 2008, Mathias Gaunard <mathias.gaunard-AT-ens-lyon.org> wrote:
>
>> David Abrahams wrote:

>>> That might be a good idea.
>>
>> Actually logging is more "error checking" I guess, since you cannot
>> catch the error and recover from it in the program.
>
> Logging seems to me to be about reporting. "Reporting" doesn't
> say anything about recovery to me.

Right, even if what's being reported in a log is an error (sometimes
it's not) the reporting itself is neutral and has no effect on the
program execution. In other words, the "error checking" that leads to
the action of logging isn't really part of the logging, in my mind.

Emil Dotchevski
Reverge Studios, Inc.