From: Phil Bouchard (philippe_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-07-31 06:04:24

I've finalized the ad extremum idea of STL support of smart pointers such as
shifted_ptr which is a good example to use because of the distinct types it
is using as pointer types (T *, shifted<T> *, shifted_allocator::pointer,
etc.). I have 2 patch files that can be used as an example to add support
for real smart pointers using Gcc's STL. These are located in the bits/
folder. These are Gnu related but I wanted to share this here for
objectivity.

I have added special contructors in shifted_ptr that takes raw pointers (T
*) instead of the type safe shifted<T> *. This is temporary until I add the
proper casts inside the STL code. What else? I simplified shifted_allocator
and fixed abominable bugs in shifted_ptr created by these temporary
constructors added. Now I'm pretty dang happy about it... There are still
some I need to fix and some more are yet to be found but it should be much
easier now.

Once again I am using shifted_ptr_test2.cpp as my main test application.

Later,
-Phil