From: Boris (boriss_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-08-02 18:47:44

On Sat, 02 Aug 2008 21:05:13 +0200, Andrey Semashev
<andrey.semashev_at_[hidden]> wrote:

Hi Andrey,

> [...]After more than a year of development my implementation of logging
> library is coming to its first release. Here are some feature highlights:

I just read the entire documentation of your logging library - it sounds
very good! I didn't write any code and didn't use your library yet but
will definitely do. So far I've only one question regarding
BOOST_LOG_DECLARE_GLOBAL_LOGGER. Having read
http://boost-log.sourceforge.net/libs/log/doc/html/advanced/advanced.html#advanced.advanced.sources.global_storage
I understand that this macro is used to help developers not to violate the
ODR. Having read the entire documentation I'm a bit surprised though that
it's used everywhere by default (like in the tutorial). I would expect
that by default developers can define a global logger with

src::severity_logger_mt lg;

_unless_ they violate the ODR. _Then_ they can use
BOOST_LOG_DECLARE_GLOBAL_LOGGER. Either I missed something and I always
should use BOOST_LOG_DECLARE_GLOBAL_LOGGER or the library author (you :)
thought that developers too often violate the ODR without noticing and
better always use the macro even if it isn't really necessary?

Boris