From: John Maddock (john_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-08-13 13:42:36

Rene Rivera wrote:
> David Abrahams wrote:
>> on Mon Aug 11 2008, Beman Dawes <bdawes-AT-acm.org> wrote:
>>
>>> Rene made that change about 6 weeks ago to both trunk and release.
>>> See http://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/changeset/46957
>>
>> You mean I've been needlessly worrying and nagging everyone about
>> this for the past 6 weeks? Couldn't someone have told me, or marked
>> the ticket closed, or done _something_ to indicate that we weren't going
>> to have
>> the problem with 1.36? What a huge waste of everyone's bandwidth!
>
> Note... I did close the ticket at the time. It was reopened at some
> point.

That would have been me.

Note that building static libraries does not fix the issue for msvc users,
and the instructions are I believe still wrong: the problem is that for msvc
it's not enough to simply have built the static libraries as well: they need
to have been built against the correct msvc-runtime-variant as well.

So for example, a new user who creates a VC++ project, adds a Boost example
program to it, and tries to build... will get linker errors because the
debug versions of the Boost libraries haven't been built by default, while
the MSVC IDE will be expecting them by default.

John.