From: Matthias Troyer (troyer_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-08-18 10:22:35

n 18 Aug 2008, at 07:47, Eric Niebler wrote:

> Pavol Droba wrote:
>> Hi,
>> I've just started to use the accumulators library. I must say that I
>> like it a lot.
>
> Great, thanks!
>
>> However, I found one feature that I'm missing in the interface. In
>> the time of multicore processors and Thread Building Blocks at hand,
>> it would be nice to be able to use accumulators in parallel
>> computations.
>> To do so, one would need to combine partial computations. In other
>> words, we need accumulator_set::combine(). This would combine the
>> partial computation state from another accumulator_set.
>> This operation would enable the accumulators to be used with
>> parallel_reduce.
>> I'm not expert in statistical computations, but as far as I can see,
>> this should be doable quite easily.
>
> Makes sense, and if I recall this has been discussed before. I even
> seem to recall Matthias saying that something like this is planned.
> Matthias?

Yes, it is planned to happen in the next year. While this is doable
for simple estimators (sum, mean, variance, moments, min, max) it is
complicated for others (binning analysis for correlated samples: there
we need a different data structure for combined accumulators) and
impossible for others (e.g. some median estimators).

Since we plan to use the accumulator library potentially on up to
100'000 or more cores we need to think of a good scalable design
before starting the implementation.

> At any rate, could you open a feature request trac ticket for this
> so we don't lose it? Thanks.

Matthias