From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-08-18 10:31:45

Although it does look like we will be able to hold to a quarterly
release schedule, it is really doubtful we have enough resources to
issue point releases.

To get bug fixes into user's hands more quickly, should we provide hot
fixes when appropriate?

Hot fixes might work something like this. (I'll use an embarrassing
Boost.Filesystem mistake I made as an example.)

* Individual developers will decide on a case-by-case basis if they want
to provide a hot fix for a given bug.

* There would be a prominent link on the web site to a "Hot Fixes" page
in the trac.

* That "Hot Fixes" page would have a section for each release.

* Under release 1.36.0, there would be a changeset number, a description
of the problem, and a directory-location:

       48192 Restore deprecated basic_directory_entry names
inadvertently removed. (boost/filesystem)

* The changeset number would link to
http://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/changeset/48192

* The "Hot Fixes" page would include instructions on how to apply a
changeset. The instructions are the same for all operating systems:

     -- Click on "Download in other formats: Unified Diff".
     -- From the command prompt,
             cd directory-location
             patch <download-location/changeset_r48192.diff

* The "Hot Fixes" page would include instructions on how to install
"patch" for popular operating systems, and give an example of actual usage.

Comments?

--Beman