From: Stefan Seefeld (seefeld_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-08-20 13:38:37

Beman Dawes wrote:
> Gennaro Prota wrote:
>> Daryle Walker wrote:

>> [...]
>>>

>>> Is this a good thing?
>>
>> Not to me. I imagine that, in a time in which I wasn't following the
>> list, there have been long discussions which led to the current state
>> of affairs. So, it may be clear to everyone except me. What I know
>> for sure is that this requires *a lot* of work every time you make a
>> modification; and either a lot of memory on your part, or a file
>> where you note the inter-release changes down, detailedly (I
>> certainly don't trust merging a whole directory (or multiple ones)
>> blindly: I want to see exactly what gets merged; and, to do this, I
>> have to keep a list of what changes I made). With such an approach,
>> I'd expect more problems due to naive merges than problems due to an
>> unstable trunk version being used as a branch point.
>
> Whoa! None of that has to be done manually. Subversion provides plenty
> of tools to manage differences between trunk and branches/release.
>
> There are several ways to go about merging. One procedure is to switch
> your working copy to branches/release, merge changes from
> branches/release to trunk into your working copy, and then view the
> differences. The only thing even remotely tricky is to remember the
> diff to be merged is from branches/release to trunk, not the other way
> around.
>
> If all changes are to be merge, you are ready to commit. But if only
> some changes are to be merged, or just to be sure, I view the diff
> between the merged but not yet committed working copy and the repository.
I'm still not sure I completely understand, sorry. I'm typically only
working on trunk, unless I have last-minute fixes that need to be
applied, in which case I apply them to trunk, as well as the (current)
release branch. Hopefully this is all I have to care about. Is this
indeed so ?

If you start working on the 37 release, using the 1_36 branch, who is in
charge of merging the new stuff that went into trunk but isn't present
in the 1_36 branch ? I sure hope it's not me.

Thanks,
       Stefan