From: Peter Dimov (pdimov_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-08-20 13:53:42

Stefan Seefeld:
> If you start working on the 37 release, using the 1_36 branch, who is in
> charge of merging the new stuff that went into trunk but isn't present in
> the 1_36 branch ? I sure hope it's not me.

It's you, sorry. In addition, there are no separate 1_36 and 1_37 branches,
there is only a single 'release' branch that is periodically released as
1.36, 1.37 and so on.

In practice this means that there are two "trunks" that need to be
maintained in parallel and kept from desync-ing; if/when they deviate past
the point of no return, there will be much suffering.

One reasonable procedure would be to experiment on branches, integrate into
trunk, wait for the tests, then immediately merge the same change into
release. In other words, keep trunk and release synchronized at all times,
with release only lagging by a test cycle or two. Another would be to move
everything pertaining to libfoo into boost/foo/ and libs/foo/. I'm so
looking forward to bringing smart_ptr and bind into compliance. Well, maybe
not. :-)