From: Stefan Seefeld (seefeld_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-08-20 14:03:07

Peter Dimov wrote:
> Stefan Seefeld:
>> If you start working on the 37 release, using the 1_36 branch, who is
>> in charge of merging the new stuff that went into trunk but isn't
>> present in the 1_36 branch ? I sure hope it's not me.
>
> It's you, sorry.

Ouch.

> In addition, there are no separate 1_36 and 1_37 branches, there is
> only a single 'release' branch that is periodically released as 1.36,
> 1.37 and so on.
It seems I have never understand neither the how nor the why. Ah well.

> In practice this means that there are two "trunks" that need to be
> maintained in parallel and kept from desync-ing; if/when they deviate
> past the point of no return, there will be much suffering.

In fact, what is trunk good for ?

My current understanding of the situation suggests to me that I should
just never commit anything to trunk, but the current 'release branch'.
That way I only have to care about a single check-in (that's what I'm
used to on other projects). Of course, as soon as a significant amount
of people do that, trunk becomes useless.
I see a couple of other issues with this procedure as I understand it
(now), but this is not the point and place to discuss them.

Regards,
       Stefan