From: Gennaro Prota (gennaro.prota_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-08-21 06:30:55

Robert Ramey wrote:
> Gennaro Prota wrote:
>> Robert Ramey wrote:
>>> In my view, the current system is a huge improvement over
>>> the previous one. It wastes a lot less time.
>> OK.
>>
>> [...]
>>> This latest release has been much less painful than
>>> previous ones with just a few snafus.
>> From what I remember (I've been more than one year away) it was just
>> a) the incredible amount of coupling between the different parts of
>> Boost b) code complexity c) absence of Beman.
>
> Absolultly wrong.
>
> a) there is no more or less coupling between libraries than there ever was.

Probably more :-)

> b) boost code is getting more complex - not less

Yes.

> c) The previous review manager engaged in a heroic effort for
> almost a year. There has never been any reason to question
> either his competence to do the job nor his dedication to it.

I don't know about competence. But certainly "dedication"... :-) (just
to be sure we're talking about the same thing: I'm referring to
1.34.0; he was so missing, all the time, that in a few occasions I
have even been ironic about it

   <http://lists.boost.org/Archives/boost/2006/08/109211.php>

). Yes, getting a release out takes a heroic effort, which Beman (and
Rene, I think --sorry if I forget anyone else) has been willing to put
in. Others haven't. That's why I said Beman absence was crucial: there
is/was no one else with the time and patience to do what he does. And
then Beman tried to define a different schema for managing things;
isn't that part of his dedication?

--
Genny