From: Vladimir Prus (vladimir_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-08-21 07:19:26

John Maddock wrote:

> Stefan Seefeld wrote:
>> In fact, what is trunk good for ?
>>
>> My current understanding of the situation suggests to me that I should
>> just never commit anything to trunk, but the current 'release branch'.
>
> Noooo!!
>
>> That way I only have to care about a single check-in (that's what I'm
>> used to on other projects). Of course, as soon as a significant amount
>> of people do that, trunk becomes useless.
>> I see a couple of other issues with this procedure as I understand it
>> (now), but this is not the point and place to discuss them.
>
> There should never *ever* be any changes applied to the release branch that
> have not been applied and tested on Trunk *first*.
>
> In short: commit to trunk, wait for the test results to cycle at least once,

On all platforms, including those that are not release platforms? Say somebody
commits a revision 1234567 to trunk; if there an easy way to tell if it's
OK to merge trunk state, as of revision 1234567 to the release branch? Preferrably,
without manually comparing the list of release compilers with the list of
compilers used for trunk testing and comparing revision numbers for each?

- Volodya