From: Daniel James (daniel_james_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-08-21 07:33:53

2008/8/21 Gennaro Prota <gennaro.prota_at_[hidden]>:
> Daniel James wrote:
>> In general (this is a gross generalisation, there are plenty of
>> exceptions) a library is maintained by one or two people and if there
>> is a problem it's up to them to solve it. In a culture of shared
>> ownership (I'm already embarrassed about using that phrase) people
>> would be feel more responsibility for other's people libraries.
>
> I have to say that sometimes I walk through the open tickets and say "hey,
> let's fix this... it's easy and the maintainer is probably just busy"; but
> usually --and here I'm speaking for myself and my own psychology-- either I
> give up knowing that nobody would appreciate the work, or I *have* to give
> up given code complexity

Yes, these things have to work both ways. We're in a tricky position
because many of our libraries are low level and support a large number
of platforms with all kinds of quirks and incompatibilities. The code
often ends up complex and it's hard to make small changes without a
fairly deep understanding. Many developers do an admirable job at
trying to limit the complexity but it's to some extent unavoidable. A
lot of boost is just weird voodoo.

Daniel