From: Michael Marcin (mike.marcin_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-08-21 19:14:31

Loïc Joly wrote:
> Michael Marcin a écrit :
>>
>> Then take for instance boost/shared_ptr.hpp and add
>>
>> BOOST_MSVC_FAST_SWAP_OPTIMIZATION( boost::shared_ptr, T )
>>

> I was under the impression that with VC9 SP1, boost::shared_ptr would
> just be an alias to std::tr1::shared_ptr. Am I wrong ?

The boost shared_ptr has a different implementation and some extensions
that the tr1 shared_ptr doesn't have. Like make_shared for instance.

I have code that uses a lot of boost::shared_ptr and there are some
things that are just broken in vc9's tr1 implementation. You can't store
tr1 functions in a std::container for instance because of a bug. I would
really like to get the no copy no throw container manipulation for
things like boost::function and boost::shared_ptr and all it takes is a
simple trait specialization.

I could do these myself in a precompiled header or something but they
seem like optimizations that are so trivial and useful that they should
go into boost so everyone can benefit from them.

Thanks,

Michael Marcin