From: Beman Dawes (bdawes_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-08-24 15:56:51

David Abrahams wrote:
> on Sun Aug 17 2008, David Abrahams <dave-AT-boostpro.com> wrote:
>
>> on Sun Aug 17 2008, Beman Dawes <bdawes-AT-acm.org> wrote:

>>> To determine if the next release is 1.37.0 or 1.36.1, so I can bump
>>> the version number.
>>>
>>> It isn't critical since the version number isn't essential until late
>>> in the release cycle,
>> How does that work? Does it mean any changes that would be
>> inappropriate in a point release will be merged to release at the last
>> minute? I'm still getting used to the new system.
>
> I would really appreciate an answer to this question. So far, it looks
> to me like we either need to decide that as a policy we're simply not
> going to do point releases, or we need a separate release branch for
> each series (e.g. 1.36.x)

I think we are simply not going to do point releases, until further notice.

It isn't so much a matter of policy as a matter of resources. We've got
enough resources to do quarterly releases. We don't have enough
resources to do quarterly releases and point releases.

At some point in the future we can reevaluate that. If we change over to
CMake someday, perhaps testing will become so easy that a lot of
resources are freed. Or maybe as we refine the quarterly release cycle,
quarterly releases will become so automatic that we can divert resources
to point releases occasionally. But not now.

--Beman