From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-08-25 19:33:19

Christian Larsen wrote:
> Christian Larsen skrev:
> [SNIP]
>> I.e. now testing should be performed on trunk and
>> releases/boost_1_36. For the next major release it would be trunk and
>> branches/boost_1_37.
> That should of course have been branches/boost_1_36...
>
> Btw, regarding the argument that some developers don't want to
> maintain multiple branches, there's no problem. They can keep
> developing on trunk as always and their changes will automatically make
> into the next
> major release, when that is branched off from trunk.

Lets make it even simpler:

Maintain ONE branch called "ReleaseReady"

Make 1.36 is just a tag ("copy" in SVN parlance) on this branch.

So all I have to do is have ONE branch on my machine: "Release Ready"
and I'm automatically upto date with all the latest - TESTED - changes
which have been merged into ReleaseReady.

Even better, I can switch my local copy of the serialization library
to trunk and and run all my local tests agains the "Release Ready"
branch and know (almost) that my stuff is compatible with
the current release ready version. This will always be the case
no matter how many other branches 1.36.1, or whatever are made.

Robert Ramey