From: David Walthall (walthall_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-08-27 15:56:47

Vladimir Prus wrote:
> What you propose is essentially:
>
> - Post 1.36.0 release, duly tested and packaged
> - Post a set of hotfixes
>
> Another alternative is
>
> - Post 1.36.0 release, duly tested and packaged
> - Post 1.36.1
>
> Now, if the 1.36+hotfixes are tested as extensively as the real release,
> then you already spend the resources, the only extra effort is packaging.
> If, for whatever reason, it is decided that hotfixes are obvious enough
> as to don't require any testing, then 1.36.1 package, incorporating the
> same hotfixes, can be released without any testing too.

Actually, wouldn't testing the N hotfixes require testing all 2^N - 1
possibilities? That is, since each hotfix could be tested
independently, we would really need to test every combination of
applying/not applying the hotfixes (except the case of not applying any
of them, thus the -1). Releasing a point release would only require
testing possibility (that corresponds to applying all of the hotfixes).
  So it seems like testing hotfixes requires considerably more work than
testing a point release.

David