From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-08-27 17:26:18

David Walthall wrote:
> Vladimir Prus wrote:

> Actually, wouldn't testing the N hotfixes require testing all 2^N - 1
> possibilities? That is, since each hotfix could be tested
> independently, we would really need to test every combination of
> applying/not applying the hotfixes (except the case of not applying
> any of them, thus the -1). Releasing a point release would only require
> testing possibility (that corresponds to applying all of the
> hotfixes). So it seems like testing hotfixes requires considerably
> more work than testing a point release.

LOL - very good point ! I wish I had thought of that!

I must say that I don't like the hotfixe point release idea. I think
if we required that each each library merge into the release ready
branch requires in no new failues, that should be enough. Anyone
who want's just part of it can do the work himself. I mean its only
a question of re-running the test-suite on one's own machine - which
a prudent should be doing anyway.

Robert Ramey