From: Daniel James (daniel_james_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-08-27 18:32:09

2008/8/27 Bjørn Roald <bjorn_at_[hidden]>:

> Individuals,
> organizations, or commercial entities need to be offered the needed tools
> and formal role needed to take responsibility for maintenance of one or more
> released major versions.

Boost is open source so if you want to maintain a stable release you
don't need a formal role, you can just do it (under an appropriate
name, naturally). This already happens in Debian. Of course, a
downside to having third party releases is that it can get very
confusing for the casual user. I've recently had that problem with
TeX. Some caution is required but if is anything is going to happen
for 1.36 it's unlikely that it'll come from 'official' boost.

Daniel