From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-08-27 19:56:40

on Wed Aug 27 2008, "Emil Dotchevski" <emil-AT-revergestudios.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 27, 2008 at 12:27 PM, David Abrahams <dave_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>> What about the "weight" of the header and its
>> dependencies? Your usual stance is to avoid such things.
>
> It is my usual stance as well. :)
>
> The part of the exception library that is pulled in by
> boost::throw_exception is specifically designed for that purpose.
> Besides a few lightweight definitions, this only pulls in atomic_count
> and intrusive_ptr.

Well, it's about 4K lines of code.

> If someone can think of a way to avoid these dependencies, I'm all
> ears.

I don't know of a way.

BTW, it's just a guess, but I think a more traditional choice of where
to add newlines in your code *might* have muted Robert's "I have no idea
what this code does" reaction. Of course, the best way to avoid that is
to explain it to the maintainers of all affected libraries beforehand.

--
Dave Abrahams
BoostPro Computing