From: Mat Marcus (mat-lists_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-08-29 17:23:55

On Fri, Aug 29, 2008 at 1:36 PM, Eric Niebler <eric_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> Michael Marcin wrote:
>>
>> If the fixes are not critical enough to justify making a point release
>> than they should wait until the next release.
>
> So you're against hotfixes. <shrug> I would say, take the hotfix if you are
> experiencing the problem addressed by the hotfix. Otherwise, wait for the
> next release.
>
> --
> Eric Niebler
> BoostPro Computing
> http://www.boostpro.com

For some of us the answer is not <shrug>. Are hotfixes really the way
forward? Not to pick on filesystem, threads or xpressive, but hotfixes
are a bit difficult to manage in a coporate environment. It's hard
enough to get boost accepted/updated without having to defend against
people who argue that it's too risky to use boost due to "inadequate
quality control" e.g. "boost 1.35.0 didn't work out of the box
(windows thread bugs, filesystem compilation errors, etc.), boost
1.36.0 doesn't work out of the box, and there are no dot-releases
planned". It really helps if there is a perception of stable, high
quality, official, numbered releases.

 - Mat