Subject: Re: [boost] Stacking iterators vs. dataflow
From: Phil Endecott (spam_from_boost_dev_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-09-03 13:28:01

David Abrahams wrote:
> on Wed Sep 03 2008, "Phil Endecott" <spam_from_boost_dev-AT-chezphil.org> wrote:
[snip]
>> rng >>= funcA >>= funcB ....
>
> For which library are you suggesting that notation?

That's the notation currently proposed for Dataflow. I would prefer no
operator overloading here, but would accept operator|. Stjepan, is
there any precedent (other languages etc.) for >>=?

>> Is it true to say that stacked iterators implement a "data pull"
>> style, while dataflow implements "data push"?
>
> I believe that's correct.

Hmm, but we can (in principle) stack both input iterator adaptors and
output iterator adaptors, can't we? Doesn't that give us both pull and push?

And there are also streams, and we have adaptors that convert streams
into iterators (and vice-versa?). Is there some common ground (i.e.
some shared concepts, or shared notation or vocabulary) here?

Phil.