Subject: Re: [boost] [RFC] Boost library name mangling and Microsoft's 'secure STL' feature.
From: dherring_at_[hidden]
Date: 2008-09-04 13:51:15

On Thu, 4 Sep 2008, Sebastian Redl wrote:
> David Abrahams wrote:
>> on Thu Sep 04 2008, "Giovanni Piero Deretta" <gpderetta-AT-gmail.com> wrote:

> You're right, sorry. There's a strong using statement importing the
> entire debug namespace in debug mode.

Would it be possible to do something like this in boost?

For header-only libraries, the right preprocessor macros would control
which iterators to use -- nothing needs to change. (?)

For other libraries, bjam would compile the sources multiple times, using
preprocessor macros to put checked iterators and other variants in
boost::__variant_xyz namespaces and linking them all together into a
single library. Then the macros selected by the user's code would control
which symbols are used out of this library.

Such a system would have the benefit that users could link against other
libraries which use boost without having to arrange that they all use the
same build variant.

Properly initializing/using singletons in the presence of multiple
variants could be difficult...

- Daniel