Subject: Re: [boost] [review] Dataflow Library
From: Stjepan Rajko (stipe_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-09-05 02:44:16

On Thu, Sep 4, 2008 at 8:24 PM, Hervé Brönnimann
<hervebronnimann_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> Stjepan: I'm just curious, because my wife uses such a dataflow program for
> interactive music performance.
>
> The program is called MAX and is distributed by a company named Cyclic74

I really appreciate you bringing up MAX - it was actually my exposure
to MAX that eventually lead me to write the Dataflow library. I had
previously seen dataflow programming in LabVIEW, but it wasn't until
MAX that I realized how easily people (with no formal programming
training) did really cool things with such an environment. It lead me
to experiment with the dataflow paradigm within C++, and eventually
realized that Boost.Signals is a good way of connecting components
together. That's how the Dataflow.Signals layer got started.

> One of the worse quirks when flowing the data (in a push mode, I guess) is
> that components are processed in (get this) geometric order, from left to
> right (breaking ties with top to bottom, I think). I guess it's important
> to know what the order i, when you allow feedback loops (cycles). But the
> left-to-right has been a never-ending source of bugs, in my wife's
> experience :-)

Yep :-)

> Which prompts me to ask:
> - can you create push networks with cycles?

Yes, as long as the components are designed in such a way that doesn't
propagate the signal in an infinitely recursive loop. For example,
MAX solves some situations with cycles using a convention - signals