Subject: Re: [boost] Tests are a mess
From: Peter Bartlett (pete_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-09-11 11:02:28

Quoting Robert Ramey <ramey_at_[hidden]>:

> Pete Bartlett wrote:
>> Robert Ramey wrote:
>>> [..] But don't go foisting on me a whole new layer of work [...]
>>
>> Sadly, by introducing boost::serialization::throw_exception, you have
>> foisted work on me and other users of your library. Now we have to
>> implement
>>
>> boost::serialization::throw_exception instead of just having one
>> boost::throw_exception. This is exactly the kind of breakage you've
>> been so strongly opposed to.
>
> You're blaming the victim here. This problem isn't caused by me,

You've begged the question there. What is the specific, concrete,
problem ? The introduction of BOOST_NO_RTTI solves the problem found
in 1.36.

If you mean that the header is still larger than in 1.35 then ok, its
an arguable point, but surely the decision should be made by end-user
(who may wish to disable the functionality (BOOST_DISABLE_EXCEPTION)
or tweak his pre-compiled header), not by an intermediate library.

To literally break the end-user's compile because of this smacks of
cutting off one's nose to spite the face.

Pete