Subject: Re: [boost] [Review] Phoenix review starts today, September 21st
From: Joel de Guzman (joel_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-09-22 21:48:30

Mathias Gaunard wrote:
> Joel de Guzman wrote:
>
>> Because it's not ready yet V3 is in alpha. V2 OTOH had years of
>> deployment behind it. It's already in extensive use, not just
>> within the Spirit community. I could have easily "fixed" the
>> non-standard type deduction protocol in V2 but decided that
>> breaking the interface should be done with care starting with v3.
>> We value backward compatibility.
>
> Isn't the move to first-class Boost citizen a good opportunity to change
> some parts of the interface, and thus give a new version number?

Indeed. As noted in the review blurb, V3 will be the future of phoenix.
The V3 interface will be assumed. The most major interface shifts are:

1) ET engine: Use of Boost.Proto
2) Result type deduction: Use of Boost.Typeof
3) Type deduction protocol: Use of Boost.Resultof

As far as the interface goes, we can take all that for granted.
We have the proof of concept.

Then again, it's always a balance. Eric ported to V3 a week after
BoostCon 08, spurred by our discussions at the conference stemming
from his port of lambda. IMO, it's too young to be subject to a
review. We'll need more time to polish it, test it on existing
code, provide backward compatibility to V2, revise the docs to
reflect the changes, etc. V2 OTOH, is already being used in
production code and has years of maturity behind it.

Regards,

--
Joel de Guzman
http://www.boostpro.com