Subject: Re: [boost] boost::signal poor performance
From: Alex MDC (alex.mdc_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-09-23 22:53:17

I think it's not so much that boost::signal is slow, just that
boost::function is really fast :)

But you're comparison isn't very fair - at the least you should compare a
vector<boost::function> to a boost::signal and see how the performance goes
with 1, 2, 10 etc event handlers on each event. Then fix it up so you can
disconnect an event handler during an event and see how the performance goes
then (that's the mimimum you'd need for a usable construct).

I remember reading some threads a while back about the slowness of
boost::signal, and it's large array of features which are rarely used. Try
and find them for some more info.

Personally I'd be interested in a comparison between boost::signal and
similar multi-event handler constructs in other languages, like C# events.

Regards,
Alex MDC