Subject: Re: [boost] [Review] Phoenix review starts today, September 21st
From: Paul A Bristow (pbristow_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-09-25 12:35:46

I vote for acceptance.

>Additionally please consider giving feedback on the following general
>topics:

>- What is your evaluation of the design?

Seems a pity we need languages within languages within languages, but there you go :-(

It clearly "does what it says on the tin".

>- What is your evaluation of the documentation?

Reads very nicely, with remarkably few typos (a few I noted attached).

>- What is your evaluation of the potential usefulness of the library?

Obviously invaluable.

>- Did you try to use the library?

No.

>- How much effort did you put into your evaluation?

Read the documentation only. And I think I understood enough of it at a first reading to be happy to jump in and try to use it for
real - an important facet of a library like this. If the learning curve is too steep, and the hand holds too far apart...

>- Are you knowledgeable about the problem domain?

Slightly.

One further comment.

I understand the dilemmas of evolution and backward compatibility, so that some evolving versions are inevitable.

But from a users point of view, it is also very helpful to know which one to choose.

As a newbie, it would help to have some guidance when to use Boost.bind, Boost.Lambda, Phoenix V2 or Phoenix V3.

If one is starting a new project and can stand some evolution, should one jump straight to Phoenix V3. What are the likely problems
in moving from V2 to V3?

Could a summary of the key features, pros and cons be added to the documentation?

Paul

---
Paul A Bristow
+44 1539561830 & SMS, Mobile +44 7714 330204 & SMS
pbristow_at_[hidden]