Subject: Re: [boost] [Review] Phoenix review starts today, September 21st
From: Joel de Guzman (joel_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-09-25 21:36:48

Paul A Bristow wrote:

>> Please always state in your review, whether you think the
>> library should be accepted as a Boost library!
>
> I vote for acceptance.

Thank you!

>> Additionally please consider giving feedback on the following general
>> topics:
>
>> - What is your evaluation of the design?
>
> Seems a pity we need languages within languages within languages, but there you go :-(

One that emulates C++ in C++ even! :P Can another language do that?

> It clearly "does what it says on the tin".
>
>> - What is your evaluation of the documentation?
>
> Reads very nicely, with remarkably few typos (a few I noted attached).

Will appply. Thanks!

[snips ...]

> One further comment.
>
> I understand the dilemmas of evolution and backward compatibility, so that some evolving versions are inevitable.
>
> But from a users point of view, it is also very helpful to know which one to choose.
>
> As a newbie, it would help to have some guidance when to use Boost.bind, Boost.Lambda, Phoenix V2 or Phoenix V3.

Right. Ok, duly noted. I'll add an "Evolution" section for this.

> If one is starting a new project and can stand some evolution, should one jump straight to Phoenix V3.

Yes.

> What are the likely problems in moving from V2 to V3?

Some porting will be required. I'll outline all these in the
"Evolution" section.

> Could a summary of the key features, pros and cons be added to the documentation?

Ok, but to be sure: "pros and cons" compared to what? BLL, V2 and V3?

Regards,

--
Joel de Guzman
http://www.boostpro.com