Subject: Re: [boost] [Windows developers] Linux virtual machine for Boost developers
From: Emil Dotchevski (emil_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-09-26 14:05:45

On Fri, Sep 26, 2008 at 6:41 AM, Beman Dawes <bdawes_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> In another thread, Anthony Williams wrote:
>
>> ... I'll open a trac
>> ticket, and fix it when I'm next using my linux box.
>
> I develop on Windows, and used keep a Linux box around for developing Linux
> specific code. But lately I've switched to using VirtualBox
> (www.virtualbox.org) for Linux development. It's free, open source, is a lot
> easier to use and maintain than separate machines or dual boot
> configurations, It is also easier to use than other virtualization
> approaches I've tried, which tended to be fragile.

I second what Beman said, VirtualBox is the way to go. I would add
that it also lets you directly mount windows foldes, so once you get
it up and running, you can edit the source code in Windows and just
build/test in Linux. Finally, saving the current state of the box
works great, so it takes no time to bring it up when you need it and
close it when you don't.

I am pretty sure however that VirtualBox doesn't expose the multiple
cores of the CPU. So in terms of testing multi-threading code, which
is what Antony typically does I suppose, it's use is rather limited.

Emil Dotchevski
Reverge Studios, Inc.