Subject: [boost] Parallelism shift
From: Johan Torp (johan.torp_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-09-27 13:05:11

Hi,

I've recently finished my master's thesis which covers the ongoing shift to
parallelism. I thought some of you might be interested in reading it.

It can be downloaded at www.johantorp.com

Best Regards, Johan

ABSTRACT

The first part of the thesis is an overview of the paradigmatic shift to
parallelism that is currently taking place. It explains why processors need
to become parallel, how they might function and which types of parallelism
there are. Given that information, it explains why threads and locks is not
a suitable programming model and how threading is being improved and used to
extract parallel performance. It also covers the problems that await new
parallel programming models and how they might work. The final chapter
surveys the landscape of existing parallel software and hardware projects
and relates them to the overview. The overview is intended for programmers
and architects of desktop and embedded systems.

The second part explains how to use C++'s upcoming memory model and atomic
API. It also relates the memory model to classical definitions of
distributed computing in an attempt to bridge the gap in terminology between
the research literature and C++. An implementation of hazard pointers and a
lock-free stack and queue are given as example C++0x code. This part is
aimed at expert C++ developers and the research community.