Subject: Re: [boost] [serialization] merge to releasse ready
From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-09-28 16:42:34

Pete Bartlett wrote:
> Hi Robert,
>
> The reason you haven't had any user complaints is that there hasn't
> been a release with the new #error-ing version, has there? It's a
> racing certainty that if you did do such a release then you would get
> requests to make the
> old behaviour work when a #define was set
> (BOOST_PERMIT_DEPRECATED_STATIC_WARNING or something). These files
> have had a strange status though so perhaps being more cavalier than
> usual with
> deprecation is possible.

My first inclination was to make a "warning pragma". but it turns out to
be compiler dependent and I didn't want to mess with it unless it was really
necessary. Right now, I only want to merge in the serialization library
and
leave this as a separate question to be left up to concensus. I have no
special interest in the manner which it is handled.

> On an implementation note - why do you have an unconditional #error
> for all compilers and then follow that up with a couple of
> conditional #{pragma message,warning}s for various compilers... the
> latter seem redundant (see e.g.
> http://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/browser/trunk/boost/static_warning.hpp)

It is redundent. I put the #error in there to be sure that when I ran my
tests
I would detect any cases where I failed to change the library/tests to use
the new locations of these items. I wasn't sure whether I should leave in
the
#error, leave in the #warning, or just remove the files.

Robert Ramey