Subject: Re: [boost] [serialization] merge to releasse ready
From: Pete Bartlett (pete_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-09-28 14:15:39

Robert wrote:
>There are some changes that I'm not included right now. Basically these
>are the original versions of certain modules located in the boost
>directory. E.G boost/static_warning.hpp. The serialization library doesn't
>use them any more and each one has been modified to include a #error -...
>in case someone has used them. I haven't recieved any
>reports that this has broken anything so I'm presuming that no other
>library - and perhaps no user application is including them. The question
>of whether these should be removed is separate from the above. I just
>thought I'd post this comment before removing them.
>
>Robert Ramey

Hi Robert,

The reason you haven't had any user complaints is that there hasn't been a
release with the new #error-ing version, has there? It's a racing certainty
that if you did do such a release then you would get requests to make the
old behaviour work when a #define was set
(BOOST_PERMIT_DEPRECATED_STATIC_WARNING or something). These files have had
a strange status though so perhaps being more cavalier than usual with
deprecation is possible.

On an implementation note - why do you have an unconditional #error for all
compilers and then follow that up with a couple of conditional #{pragma
message,warning}s for various compilers... the latter seem redundant (see
e.g. http://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/browser/trunk/boost/static_warning.hpp)

Pete