Subject: Re: [boost] [Review] Phoenix review starts today, September 21st
From: David Abrahams (dave_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-09-30 11:49:31

on Tue Sep 30 2008, "Peter Dimov" <pdimov-AT-pdimov.com> wrote:

> David Abrahams:
>> If I were to vote, I think I would feel obliged to vote no despite my
>> implicit trust in Joel's abilities and sense of responsibility that
>> tells me it'll probably turn out alright. It's frustrating that
>> we've managed to get ourselves in this situation, but I don't think
>> we should ever be reviewing code that isn't what the author intends
>> to release.
>
> I think I disagree, for entirely practical reasons. First, I very much
> suspect that the relative lack of exposure to the wider Boost
> community has held Phoenix back. It would have been a better library
> now had it been at top level.

Agreed 100%. I wish it were at the top level long ago... before the
proto rewrite was even initiated.

> More so, had it been labeled as the way forward for Lambda users.

It has been so labelled, but only unofficially. I for one have been
itching to jump.

> For me, this formal review, formal in the formality sense, has already
> been delayed far too much.

Also agreed 100%.

> Second, things always take longer than planned. Waiting for Phoenix V3
> may turn out to not be a particularly good idea, in hindsight.

Again, agreed.

> PS: lambda()[ ... ] should work and be an alias for lambda[ ... ]. :-)

Would be nice.

So, we agree. On what point were you disagreeing with me? :-)

--
Dave Abrahams
BoostPro Computing