Subject: Re: [boost] [Review] Phoenix review starts today, September 21st
From: Peter Dimov (pdimov_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-09-30 09:28:36

David Abrahams:
> If I were to vote, I think I would feel obliged to vote no despite my
> implicit trust in Joel's abilities and sense of responsibility that tells
> me it'll probably turn out alright. It's frustrating that we've managed
> to get ourselves in this situation, but I don't think we should ever be
> reviewing code that isn't what the author intends to release.

I think I disagree, for entirely practical reasons. First, I very much
suspect that the relative lack of exposure to the wider Boost community has
held Phoenix back. It would have been a better library now had it been at
top level. More so, had it been labeled as the way forward for Lambda users.
For me, this formal review, formal in the formality sense, has already been
delayed far too much.

Second, things always take longer than planned. Waiting for Phoenix V3 may
turn out to not be a particularly good idea, in hindsight.

PS: lambda()[ ... ] should work and be an alias for lambda[ ... ]. :-)