Subject: Re: [boost] Preview 3 of the Geometry Library
From: Mathias Gaunard (mathias.gaunard_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-10-19 11:44:39

Barend Gehrels wrote:

> Many discussions and comments were related to the concepts and, more
> specific, to the Point concept. This is the most basic thing of a
> geometry library and has to be as generic as possible. We think we
> implemented it like that into the library. The library can handle all
> point types including legacy point types, point types provided by the
> library, user defined point types, Cartesian points, native arrays,
> points with spherical coordinates. The library provides point_xy for
> Cartesian systems and point_ll for lat long systems, but the library
> user is thus not confined to those types.

I've just recently thought about the point concept, because I was more
focused on geometric objects the first time I looked into that library.

I think it's doing two things at a time:
- abstracting the actual point type being used, so that it can work with
types from other libraries.
- specifying the coordinate system, which also defines the dimension.

Therefore, wouldn't it be a better idea that a point trait directly
specifies a coordinate system?
Then a coordinate system can specify its strategy traits.

Decoupling the two would result in less duplication, I think.