Subject: Re: [boost] [release management] Drop .gz and .zip release packaging?
From: Peter Bartlett (pete_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-10-23 09:14:24

Quoting Henrik Sundberg <storangen_at_[hidden]>:

>> That seems to be a good argument against the change, while most Linux
>> distro's have bz2, 7z has rather less machine penetration I suspect. I also
>> believe that many commercial *nix distro's don't have bz2 support as
>> standard?
>
> But are not users of Boost supposed to be able to cope with different
> compression tools?
> A link to 7-zip and a description of how to unpack bz2 ought to be enough.

Not in some (many?) corporate environments, it wouldn't.

Here we can download .zip files because the software sitting on the
firewall opens the .zip and check that none of the contained files
contain viruses.
It doesn't do the same to .7z files, so it doesn't permit them through.

Just one data point...

Pete