Subject: Re: [boost] [1.37.0][date-time] Breaking the log jam
From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2008-10-30 16:16:46

Beman Dawes wrote:

>>> Get the 1.38.0 process going now and put the date-time updates
>>> into that.
>>>
>>> Robert Ramey
>>
>> I think I responded too quickly before, and I agree with Robert.
>> Isn't that the whole point of a quarterly release cycle?

> Sure, but I was thinking only of a couple of days, not a major slip.

Suppose this turns into 10 days of testing merging etc. Then, a whole
new beta round? And by that time, someone will find "just one
more thing". My view is that we can't atain perfection. But we
can achieve a product which shows strict improvement on
a TIMELY basis.

> As soon as 1.37.0 is released, I am going to open a point-release
> branch
>> where Andrey can check those changes in.
>

> Hum... So are you going to manage a point-release? That would change
> my thinking a bit.

I would hope that it one could just start checking this stuff into the
the trunk right now - and of course start testing it. This would give
it some time in the trunk for testing and have it ready to be merged
in to the next release ready branch after 1.37 is tagged. This could
then be tagged as the 1.37.1 "point release" if that was considered
necessary. Hopefully this would be pretty painless.

Robert Ramey